Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Linux

Yep, I'm moving away from the herd called Windows. Gone will be the worry-some viruses, key loggers, spy-ware...

I installed Kubuntu on Monday and played around with it for a bit, getting used to the menus and how stuff works, like only clicking once to get a program up.

Then last night I tried to get back into Vista. It tried to load, but couldn't. I'm guessing that it was windows flipping the bird for installing Kubuntu. The other option was to completely wipe the drive clean and start all over again with Vista.

I remember using Red Hat Linux when I was a kid, I remember how completely different it was from windows, but even back then I ran into the same problem I have now. The difference now is that I'm totally ready to move to Linux. When I use my computer, it's 99.98% doing stuff online.

The occasional time offline is watching videos or typing up something. Many of the most popular programs around are made for Linux too, like: google chrome, VLC media player, Firefox, Thunderbird, and the list goes on. And there are programs that will mimic what their Windows counterparts can do, for example Open Office can both read and save files like Microsoft Office.

I could talk about Linux until I'm blue in the face and pass out, but I believe that the time people seriously start looking at alternatives to Windows is now. There are 100s of different versions of Linux, there's bound to be one for you.

No comments: